Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Get Kids Excited About Math Right at the Beginning of the School Year!

I find my students that love math are always excited to do math, but the beginning of the school year presents an opportunity to get the kids that are not-so-crazy about math excited and interested right away. I play tons of little math games with my kids. One way kids can improve their math skills is by identifying patterns. After all, math is nothing but pattern recognition!

Kids love a challenge in which they can practice trial and error and hone their skills at solving a problem. For example, I play a game called "1 to 1,000". In the game, I think of a single number between 1 and 1,000. Students are allowed to ask up to 10 questions to help them determine what that number is. Give it a try in the classroom. The kids will eventually refine their skills to ask questions that narrow the window.

Two other games I play are:

Veintiuno is a challenging game that can be used in English or Spanish. Students need to problem solve and determine the pattern to win the game. It’s a difficult game because the kids must figure out the pattern in their minds without seeing any concrete objects. I use it at the end of the day or end of the class as a challenge. I, of course, claim that I’m just lucky when I win every time, but the kids don’t believe it and are motivated to look for the solution. 



21 Chips! Play this game with students while waiting in line for the bus or at recess. Your students will be looking for the pattern but it will take some time, days, maybe even weeks, to figure it out!

21 Chips is a fun classroom game where players alternate turns using strategy to be the last to take chips. 

I use 21 Chips it at the end of the day or end of the class as a challenge. I, of course, claim that I’m just lucky when I win every time, but the kids don’t believe it and are motivated to look for the solution. Play this game with students while waiting in line for the bus or at recess. Your students will be looking for the pattern but it will take some time, days, maybe even weeks, to figure it out!

Give these games a try and help your students improve their problem solving skills and have fun with math!




No comments:

Post a Comment