Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Remembering 9/11


Photo taken October 2011

9/11 was a very solemn day for our middle school. My oldest students are 14 years old so none of them remembers the tragic events of that day. As a firefighter and EMT, I had the privilege of delivering money to the FDNY Widows and Orphans Fund five weeks after the attack.

I showed my students a slideshow that depicted the sad events of that day and the outpouring of support for firefighters and families involved in the rescue efforts and clean up. I was amazed at the reaction of my students. When the powerpoint ended, many of them sat in stunned silence, not knowing what to say. Others were in tears.

After seeing my student's reactions this year, we have decided to offer this powerpoint free of charge on our Teachers Pay Teachers store. We do this in honor of the 343 firefighters who perished on that day.

We will link when the presentation is ready.

Click here to make a contribution to the FDNY Widows and Orphans Fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment